It's no secret that I love to bake around here. It is just something that I find so relaxing. Even if the baked goods don't turn out super pretty, they usually still taste yummy! Luckily for me I have some awesome friends that agree. So, we schemed up the perfect morning. A yummy dessert brunch. And guys it was amazing! We ate, we talked, laughed, and ate some more. And its been decided, that these types of things need to happen more often.
I couldn't decide what to bake for our dessert brunch so of course I had to make two things haha. Why not?! Just more yummy food to eat! After much searching, I decided on a Lemon Meringue pie and a French Strawberry Cake. I had tons of fun making these two things, especially with a cute little helper beside me. I was surprised how easily the Lemon Meringue Pie came together. It was the perfect summer pie. And the Strawberry cake was pure perfection. This cake is a moist custard type cake. Not crumbly at all. It is so good, you can't stop with just one slice. So of course I couldn't keep all this goodness to myself. I needed to share with you all this yumminess!
P.s This Pie Crust is my go to for all the pies I make. Its so good and easy!
Basic Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 cups & 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp butter (cut into 1/4- inch pieces chilled)
- 2 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 5 tbsp ice water (plus extra)
Sift the flour, sugar, and salt into a large bowl. Add the butter and shortening. Cut in the butter with the pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. One tbsp at a time, work in enough ice water just until the dough comes together. (I usually use more then 5 tbsp, just add one at a time until the dough just comes together. Don't over mix it!)
Shape into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap then flatten into a thick disk. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and then follow the instructions for your favorite pie.
(Makes one pie shell)
Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 1/3 cup cake flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 egg yokes slightly beaten
- zest of 3 large lemons
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp butter
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla
1) Prepare the Pie Crust:
- Roll the dough into a 11 inch round and place in the bottom of a 9 inch pie pan. (The size is pretty flexible. Just hold your pie dish over the dough, make sure that the dough sticks out about a inch all around and it should fit perfectly)
- Flute the edges. Poke the bottom of the pastry shell all around with a fork.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 12-15 minutes. Just until it is golden brown.
- Cool completely before adding the filling.
- Prep all your eggs and lemons and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine all the dry ingredients. Pour in water. Stir continually over medium heat until the mixture comes to a slow boil and becomes thick.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- Pour about half of the mixture into the bowl with the egg yokes, continually whisking until blended.
- Pour the egg mixture back in the saucepan, return to the stove on a low heat. Make sure to constantly keep stirring for an another 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in the lemon juice and zest.
- Add the butter about 1 tbsp at a time. Stir until combine.
- Pour filling into the pie shell and set to the side while you make the meringue.
- In your mixer add your egg whites, vanilla, salt and cream of tarter in the bowl.
- Whip on a medium/ high speed until the mixture forms soft peaks.
- Gradually add the sugar while continuing to whip the mixture.
- Whip until the peaks are strong and glossy looking. (You should be able to hold the bowl upside down and not have the mixture fall out)
- Using a large metal spoon, dollop the meringue over the filling. Make sure the meringue is completely covered.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for about 25 minuets or until the meringue is a beautiful golden brown color.
- Cool and keep pie in the refrigerator.
- Eat and be happy!
French Strawberry Cake
- 1 stick butter room temperature (I use salted)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 16 ounces fresh strawberries sliced up
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & Prep a 9 inch round cake pan. (I just sprayed mine with cooking spray and it worked great)
- In a stand mixer, whip butter and and 1 cup sugar together until light pale and fluffy. About 5 minuets.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. Add in the Vanilla.
- In a separate medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the sour cream. Make sure you begin and end with the flour mixture. Beat until just combined after each addition.
- With a spatula fold in the strawberries. Spread the batter into the cake pan.
- Sprinkle the 1/4 cup sugar over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- You want the tooth pick to come out clean.
So, do yourself a favor, have a girls day and eat a whole bunch of yummy things. It will become one of your new favorite things to do! Let us know if you try one of these recipes. We would love to know if you love it as much as we do!
Here are some cute items that I used to make a beautiful and easy tablescape. Just click on the picture to check them out.
Leave a comment